Sunday 10 March 2013

On travel: Purpose and Ethics

Whenever I visit somewhere new, I find myself opening my eyes and ears more. I am on alert, sensitive to new sights, smells, and voices. I am acutely aware of difference, of the unfamiliar, and this makes me more aware of me, who I am, what I am, what defines me as different. Encountering things with which I don't identify challenges me, and poses questions of me: 'do you disagree? - if so, why?' This leads me to examine my root assumptions; to explore my own philosophical foundations from a fresh perspective.

I try under these circumstances to be open to new ideas, to learn from others. I strive to take the best wisdom from these people and cultures.

I also aim to represent my own culture in a good light.

So it is important to me to leave the place better than I found it...

No comments:

Post a Comment